Home
Historic Marais PDF Print E-mail

 

Paris Art Studies – The Historic Marais

 

 

Hôtel Lamoignon 1585-1612 by Louis Métezeau – 26, rue Pavée 75004

Originally built for Diana of France duchesse d’Angoulême, illegitimate daughter of Henri II. Later (1658-1677) residence of Guillaume 1er Lamoignon president of the Paris Parlement. Today library of the history of Paris.

 

Hôtel Carnavalet 1547-1560 by Nicolas Dupuis (?) – 28, rue de Sevigné 75003

Built for Jacques de Ligneris president of the Paris Parlement. The name is the corruption of that of a later owner (1578) a Breton noblewoman called Madame de Kernevenoy. Museum of the history of Paris since 1866.

 

Place Royale (des Vosges) 1605 – 1612 by Claude Châtillon and Louis Métézeau.

Built by order of Henri IV and inaugurated in 1612 in celebration of the betrothal of Louis XIII with Anne of Austria.

 

Hôtel de Sully 1624-1629 by Jean Androuet du Cerceau – 62, rue Saint-Antoine 75004

Bought in 1634 by Maximilien de Béthune duc de Sully former prime minister of Henri IV.

 

Hôtel de Mayenne 1606-1617 by Jacques II or Jean Androuet du Cerceau – 21, rue Saint-Antoine 75004

The property was bought in 1605 by Charles de Lorrainne duc de Mayenne who had the original house entirely rebuilt by du Cerceau. The 2 balconies were added by his successors in 1645-50. The central section of the upper floor was added by the architect Germain Boffrand in 1709 and rather well integrated into the old fashioned Henri IV architecture.

 

Sainte-Marie de la Visitation 1632-1634 by François Mansart – 17, rue Saint-Antoine 75004

Built for the Sisters of the Visitation of the Virgin Mary from Annecy who settled in Paris on the rue du Petit Musc in 1619, on the site of an older chapel offered to them by Nicolas Bruant in 1621. Awarded to the Protestant church in 1802.

 

Hôtel St Pol (remnants) 1361-1364 – corner of rues Saint-Paul and rue Neuve Saint-Pierre 75004.

Royal residence with extensive gardens built outside the medieval walls by King Charles V.

 

Rue Egihnard 75004. Early 17c bourgeois houses property of the order of the Hospitalières de Sainte Anastase whose initials appear on the wrought iron of the oculi.

 

Hôtel d’Aumont 1649-1665 by Louis Le Vau and François Mansart – 7, rue de Jouy 75004

Originally residence of Antoine Scarron (uncle of the writer Paul Scarron first husband of Françoise de Maintenon, the last mistress and wife of Louis XIV) later considerably enlarged by Mansart for his son in law, Antoine duc d’Aumont.

 

Hôtel de Beauvais 1655-1660 by Antoine Lepautre – 68, rue François-Miron 75004

Built for Catherine Henriette de Beauvais (née Bellier) chambermaid of Queen Anne of Austria (wife of Louis XIII and mother or Louis XIV) and her husband Pierre baron de Beauvais.

 

Medieval houses 14th and 15th centuries  – 11 and 13, rue François-Miron 75004

Timber houses (à colombage) with gables restored in 1960.

 

 
< Prev   Next >
Copyright 2008 - 2010 ParisArtStudies.com :: Powered by HostingParis.com